Examination Highlights 2017
Headmaster, Stephen Neate, was extremely pleased with this year’s outstanding set of GCSE results. The pupils sat a mixture of reformed and legacy GCSE qualifications, reputably harder than in previous years. English and mathematics are numerically assessed for the first time with the majority of universities accepting a grade 4 (standard pass) for entry to higher education. 78% of the cohort achieved at least grade 4 in both of these subjects and are therefore well placed to continue their studies post-16.
A strong performance across the whole curriculum gives our students real choice post-16. This is a talented and able year group who, with the support of their teachers and parents, have realised their potential both inside and outside the classroom. Sport, drama and music have all received excellent support from these students and many of them have featured in our 400th anniversary celebrations. Two thirds of the students have been awarded the DofE Bronze Award and, along with our Sports Leaders, have made significant contributions in the local community.
We are very proud of our students’ successes, but even more importantly of the skills, determination and character they have continually shown us. At a time when the national media are reporting these are the hardest GCSEs since 1980, it is even more pleasing that the students have achieved these results.
- Top 22 students amassed 200+ A*/A or equivalent GCSE grades between them.
- English and Mathematics – 84% of students gained a grade 9 to 4. A creditable 32% grade 9 to 7 in Mathematics and 24% in English.
- 20 students in this cohort who took Mathematics GCSE in Year 10 (a year early) all achieved A*/A
- 16 Express set Mathematics students in Year 10 all gained grade 9-8 (A**/A*)
- 75% of students secured two or more passes in Science, nearly two thirds of the cohort passed three sciences, 44% of these passed with top grades A*/A
- A similar figure achieved A*-C in humanities
- Ebacc subjects – 47% passed A*- C
- Early champagne moments – A*/A 49% French, 37% Biology, 46% Chemistry,48% Physics. Geology 100% A*-C
Outstanding performances – all students achieved 8+ A*/A
Myott Finn – top scholar