A high standard of student dress is a clear feature of the Richard Hale Sixth Form; it sets us apart from other schools. RHS Sixth Form students are role models for the rest of the school, and their behaviour enhances our reputation in the community. We therefore expect our students to accept willingly the requirement to dress in a way which is appropriate to a school whose tone is business-like, and whose core purpose is serious academic study.
Male Dress Requirements:
- Suit or jacket and smart trousers with shirt and tie.
- Jackets to be worn at all times around school.
- Shoes to be dark and formal in nature.
- Plain v-neck jumpers may be worn as well as, but not in place of, jackets.
- Jewellery and piercings of any kind are not permitted.
- No extremes of hair length; “man-buns” are not permitted; neat and tidy facial hair is permitted.
Female Dress Requirements:
The following dress code applies to girls in the Sixth Form:
- Business style suit with jacket, or dress and jacket
- Jackets are required to be worn at all times around the school unless otherwise instructed
- A blouse or shirt is to be worn under the jacket; it must not be see-through or low cut either at the front or the back; blouse and shirt sleeves may be long, short or ‘sleeveless’; ‘strappy’ tops are not permitted and girls need to ensure underwear straps are not visible
- A jumper may replace the blouse or shirt; it must be of a formal nature
- Skirts/dresses are required to be knee length or just above the knee
- Trousers are to be of a formal style and material; ‘ankle grazer’ style trousers are permitted, but no shorter; leggings and jeans are not permitted
- One pair of earrings is permitted, but no other visible piercings
- Formal shoes are to be worn; ankle height boots of a formal style may be worn; canvas shoes are not permitted
- Appropriate sportswear is to be worn for Games lessons and fixtures
If any aspect of attire is deemed inappropriate, Year Heads, the Director of Sixth Form or members of SLT will speak to students in the first instance, in order to ensure the dress code is adhered to from the next day onwards; sanctions will be put in place if students continue to fail to meet the standards required.
In keeping with the rest of the school:
- Denim or leather jackets, baseball caps, hoodies and jeans are unacceptable.
- Outdoor coats, hats, scarves and gloves are not to be worn in the school buildings.